TTIP-förhandlingarna — det går trögt på det tekniska området

Små och medelstora företag i både EU och USA skulle verkligen ha nytta av TTIP-avtalet, men på många områden går förhandlingarna långsamt.

Den här artikeln från EUobserver.com beskriver  behovet:

”The company Code Mercenaries can be found in the south of Berlin, several miles outside city limits.
This is where Guido Koerber and his eight employees produce microprocessor chips for keyboards. Not for PC or Apple computers, but personalised orders for industrial machines. 

Koerber’s company does exactly what Germany’s small and medium-sized enterprises are praised for: offering a highly specialised niche product that is successful overseas. Roughly 90 percent of Koerber’s merchandise stays in the EU, the other 10 percent goes to customers in the US.

But when it comes to exporting across the Atlantic, there is significant room for improvement. For Koerber, the biggest problem is various regulatory standards in America.

When it comes to permits and product licensing, the US is a patchwork of different rules and regulations. Each of the 50 states of the US sets its own safety standards.

When selling within Europe, it is straightforward. Koerber’s company produces its microprocessors according to CE-standards, which are accepted by all of the EU member states. He can bring his product to market anywhere in the EU as long as he complies with these regulations.

If he wants to sell a product in the US, he first needs to be certified by a US institute, despite already meeting the CE-standard of approval.

“In the US, there are multiple certification institutes, but not all certifications are recognised everywhere in the country. This can cost me upwards of €10,000,” Koerber said.

Seatbelts and headlights
There is no single industry standard in the US and there are 17 competing certifiers. What is approved in Arizona might not be accepted in Florida. This regulatory chaos isn’t only bad for international companies, but for American companies as well.

Ideally, this is where TTIP, the transatlantic trade pact, would step in. For example, indicators for cars have been proven safe in both regions of the world; US thermometer safety has been recognised and EU machines have proven to be fire-safe. The companies that produce these products were promised that the quality and safety standards would be recognised by both sides, thanks to TTIP. Meaning these businesses could export their products without dealing with the extra bureaucracy.”

Men tyvärr är det ett mål som just nu logger långt borta när det gäller exempelvis bilindustrin. Amerikanerna är oroliga för EU:s bilindustri som just nu tar fram både mer attraktiva produkter och har hög produktivitet.

”After the last round of negotiations in February, EU trade commissioner Cecilia Malmstroem announced that progress had been made regarding car standards. “We have reached an agreement on seatbelts and headlights,” Malmstroem said.

Seatbelts and headlights. Nothing else after nearly three years of negotiations? Surely it should have been possible to address blinkers, rear view mirrors and crash tests during this same time period?

Apparently not.

Public records from the last round of negotiations in Brussels show that things move slowly: “The parties exchanged detailed information on each of the issues, agreeing that more detailed inter-sessional work on technical details would be needed,” the chapter on cars read.

In other words: Nothing was accomplished.”

Det förefaller sammantaget som om de tekniska avsnitten av avtalet är svårare att komma vidare med än de som gäller jordbruksprodukter och liknande. Det är inte förvånande. Inom Europa har vi ett tydligt exempel, nämligen järnvägen. Olika länder har olika standarder när det gäller el, signalsystem och liknande. Varje land har investerat i sina system, och i praktiken skulle nästan varje land få göra förändringar på ett eller flera områden. Det handlar om att till en kostnad av miljarder euro byta ut fullt fungerande teknik.  Så trots åratal av förhandlingar måste vi ofta byta tåg när vi passerar en nationsgräns. Ironiskt nog är den standard som finns spårvidden. Men den är från tiden då tåg drevs med kol och vatten.

Tekniska skillnader är alltså enkla i teorin, men svåra i praktiken.

Samtidigt uttalade Merkel och Obama att det skall finnas ett avtal i år.

Vissa bedömare menar att det lutar åt ett TTIP-light där ambitionen är att skapa en förhandlingsordning där framtida standardisering blir harmoniserad och skillnaderna mellan USA och EU sakta men säkert fasas ut. En sådan process kommer ta decennier, men den är samtidigt bättre än ingenting alls. Det finns alltid ett värde i ökat ekonomiskt samarbete. USA och EU behöver komma närmare varandra.

 


Kategorier: TTIP